Thursday, September 2, 2010

And so it begins...

By Megan Wain

I thought I'd try blogging my progress.  I just started yesterday, September 1.  I gave myself a week to mentally prepare for the change that was coming (and indulge in a few bad habits I know I need to kick!).  I have to say, so far, so good.  I have been encouraged by everyone's emails this afternoon.  It's nice to know I'm not the only one with these struggles.  I made goals very similar to Dawn's. I am keeping a food journal and I agree that it really helps me to not overeat if I write everything down.  I'm also drinking lots of water.  Normally I'm not a water drinker.  I prefer Diet Coke and I'm not giving that up, but I am committed to increasing my water intake.  To help accomplish this I went to Bed, Bath, and Beyond and bought a jumbo sized (24 oz.) Tervis Tumbler with a lid and some straws.  It looks like this:


I've been trying to refill it 3 times each day.  It's really cute, too, which is a bonus!  :)  As for meals, I'm going back to the Weight Watchers points system because that's what has really worked for me in the past.  I have never actually joined WW because I'm too cheap, but I figured how many points I was allowed by searching for the formula online and I have one of their sliding points calculators that my mom gave me.  I like their system because you truly can eat anything as long as you budget your points wisely.  If I thought I had to live my life without chocolate, I'm not sure I could handle that!  :)  Anyway, I try to have a Slim-Fast for breakfast (canned if I'm in a hurry and powder if I'm at home), a Lean Cuisine or yogurt and fruit for lunch and Subway or Taco Bell (the Chicken Burrito-no avocado sauce-is not too unhealthy) if I'm out and need something quick, and a small portion of whatever I make my family for dinner.  I also dug my pedometer out and dusted it off.  I asked for it for Christmas two years ago and never used it.  It's kind of a fancy one and I have to read the manual to get it set up and figure out how it works, but I think a step contest would be fun.  Where I struggle is the exercise component.  I HATE EXERCISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I mean I really hate it.  Some people say it makes them feel so good and blah, blah, blah.  First of all, I don't have any equipment at home to exercise on, I don't belong to a club (and don't really want to), and I ALWAYS have my kids with me (especially my 1 year old), so finding the time is difficult.  I'm also just not sure what to do that would be the most effective.  Since the weather should be cooling off soon, I do plan to walk but I wonder if that's enough.  I really need to lose weight in my mid-section.  After 3 c-sections, I can hardly look at that area and I doubt if walking is going to do enough for me.  I haven't watched the video Dawn sent yet, so maybe that will be helpful and give me some suggestions of ways to begin working on this area.

When does everyone want to meet?  I'm looking forward to meeting you all!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment